Competent and well equipped for photo editing, file browsing and cataloguing.
ON1 PHOTO 10 ADVANCED MODE
For a complete review of On1 Photo 10 you need to read the review in the Beginners section, and then return to this review of the more advanced features available within the On1 Photo 10 package.
On1 have just released a major software package for editing RAW images.
I have a copy and will review it as soon as I have put it through its paces.
In the meantime if you want to look at this (very promising) RAW editor
you can do soON1 Photo RAW"> here.
Here are some of the claims to fame for On1 Photo10:
- This soware can be used as a plug-in (e.g. for Photoshop or Lightroom) or as a standalone application.
- You can use it to browse and manage photos whether on your computer, an external drive or cloud service.
- On1 Photo 10 includes the necessary tools to manage and edit your photos with "non-destructive Smart Photo technology".
- The software can resize your images without the loss of sharpness or detail.
- For those interested in portraiture On1 Photo 10 includes several useful tools that allow: Skin retouching, Skin smoothing, Blemish reduction, Shine removal, Colour correction, Colour correct skin
tones, Brighten eyes, and Whiten teeth.
To examine the more advanced functions I opened the following image:
This is an out-of-camera RAW file.
I wanted to brighten the image, enhance the colour rendering, and remove a couple of unwanted strands of grass (one in front to he straw bail - bottom right, and the other in the lower sky - against the left-hand margin).
On opening the processing screen a number of
Presets became available, but I ignored these because I wanted to process the image one step at a time, working in Layers:
on lower right of the
The Layers build up as the image processing takes place.
This makes it possible to delete a Layer if the editing does not provide the result that you want.
My first task was to change the Brightness - which in On1 Photo 10 is achieved within the Detail Control found in the Quick Fixes Panel.
At this point I used the Clone Stamp
to eliminate the unwanted grasses:
Followed by adjustments to the Levels and Colors settings - which generated the final adjusted image
- With a little experience the enhancement controls become easy to master and perform all of the functions required for most image processing.
- The ability to work with RAW files and output into other formats is great, the ability to work on a copy of the original gives a sense of security that if all goes wrong you still have the original intact.
- On1 Photo10 has a very fast photo browser with which you can quickly sort, cull and edit photos from a shoot. It also allows you to rate your photos and add keywords.
Use this link for direct access to the On1 Photo 10 web page, and see what else is possible with this robust software.
Cookies can be managed in your browser or device settings.
Where you see a link please assume that it is an affiliate link. By using these links you will pay nothing extra for the product, and any income generated through those links will help to cover the cost of maintaining this site. I try at all times to provide informative reviews and information about various products.The partial funding through affiliate commissions with Amazon, ShareaSale, SmugMug, TradeDoubler, Corel, Serif, 7-dayshop, Topaz, On1, Webgains, ACDSee, Calumet, CJ Affiliates, VigLink, Jessops Photo, Digital Photography School, and any other specifically named company does not in any way affect the cost of the item to you. The cost is exactly the same as if you had gone to the merchant site directly.
The reviews and recommendations are as honest as I can make them. If you buy on the basis of that review or recommendation, then do not like the goods and you return them to the vendor I receive nothing -so there is no point in providing a good review of a duff product.